Summer Camp Counsellor
WindReach Farm is excited to bring back the third annual Acres of Fun Summer Camp for 2018! This year we are looking for five counsellors that will help the Camp Coordinator ensure safety of all campers, as well as promote an opportunity for campers to learn, reflect, make new friends (both with the animals and with other campers), and most importantly, have FUN!
The Camp Coordinator is looking to hire counsellors who have a passion for working with children and youth, both with and without special needs. Counsellors must be able to facilitate appropriate discussions with campers, manage various group dynamics (different ages and abilities for all campers), as well as provide support and care for anyone they meet at the farm. If you are a passionate and energetic individual who loves being outdoors and has interest and experience working with children with special needs – we would love to hear from you!
- Duration: 10 week contract: End of June – End of August
- Hourly Rate: $14 – 15/hour for up to 40 hours a week
- Location: WindReach Farm (312 Townline Road, 20 minutes north of Whitby)
Tasks and Responsibilities
In collaboration with the Summer Camp Coordinator:
- Help to plan, implement, and execute nature and farming related summer camp programming for children ages 6 to 13.
- Responsible for up to five campers (1:5 ratio, 1 counsellor / 5 campers). These campers will be your priority but you will always have assistance from the Camp Coordinator, as well as the other counsellors when needed.
- Provide general day-to-day supervision and support to summer camp participants.
- Teach, provide and model appropriate safety measures while on the farm and around animals.
- Create a positive rapport with all campers and support staff.
- Be aware of camper dietary/medical needs.
- Responsible for the general safety and development, growth, and skill achievement of the participants.
- Prior experience working with children that have Special Needs is an asset.
Education level (Secondary (High School) or Post-Secondary)
Must currently be a student and planning on returning to school in September of 2018 (College or University).
We are a fully accessible farm for people with special needs. It is imperative that all applicants have prior experience and feel comfortable working with children that may have high needs.
All applicants must be available for the entirety of camp (8 full weeks of camp: Tuesday July 3rd – Friday August 24th). Ideally we will also have one week of training prior to the beginning of camp (Monday June 25th – Friday June 29th) as well as one week after camp for any final debriefs needed (Monday August 27th – Friday August 31st).
Camp Counsellors will be directly supervised by the Summer Camp Coordinator. There will be an orientation one week prior to camp starting, as well as training and feedback provided to the counsellors throughout the summer.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Alex Young at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday February 15th, 2018.
The First Round of interviews will take place on Tuesday February 20th, 2018.
We thank everyone for their interest in this position, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.